Sunday, June 12, 2011

Violating my Own Etiquette Rules


I think anyone who has seen Karate Kid or watched Kung Fu Theatre knows that etiquette is a central tenant of any martial arts style.  There’s a hierarchy and there are rules about how you behave.  Our dojo has very specific rules about etiquette and general behavior that every student is expected to know and abide.  But there are sometimes mistakes….

I started taking karate because, among other reasons, I was looking for a sense of order in my otherwise chaotic life.  Karate brings that, and then some!  The bowing and the rank system mean something here.  So many titles in everyday life are meaningless, especially in my given profession, that it’s quite refreshing to enter a space where titles mean EVERYTHING.  But not in a negative sense, in a matter of respect and homage.  Dan, Sensei, Master, these titles mean that the person has passed a great test, achieved a major milestone.  And respect is given to that, for good reason. 

So it pains me that my oldest daughter has the WORST habit of fiddling with her belt while at cheriut (attention).  I notice this more now that I’m helping to instruct.  I also can’t stand how she does pushups, but that’s another story…which is actually quite funny. 

I hate to zone in on my kids all the time because it drives them crazy and probably isn’t fair of me. . . but . . .their behavior reflects on me, right?  And of course, I’m PERFECT. . .

Last week I was helping to instruct the children’s class.  This was the same class where the Master was speaking to the students about the importance of etiquette, sitting properly during class, and not creating a distraction during belt testing.  I was listening attentively to what he was saying, and making mental notes so that when I had a chance to instruct my group of students, I’d make sure to mention something about etiquette (bowing to your partner, et cet).  I was complimenting myself on the lessons I was learning and ….that is until I heard this:

My ringtone….UGH!!  I just violated my own personal etiquette rule, “thou shalt not let one’s phone ring while in the dojo.”  I ran to mute it, also violating the rule about not leaving the dojo unless permitted to do so..So basically, I was breaking all the rules that night, so let’s just add in my swearing “Oh shit” underneath my breath as I frantically searched for my whistling phone, which was at the bottom of my gear bag.  And yes, let’s pause for a moment to chuckle that my ring tone is the theme song to Kill Bill—yea, that’s an extra special touch of irony during karate class. 

I returned to class just as everyone had taken a break.  Whew.  My face beet red (which, thanks to my Irish predisposition to blush like the Lucky Charms guy, happens at least 16 times a day, since I have a tendency to embarrass myself every waking hour of the day), I resumed helping to instruct.  Of course adding in a few comments about etiquette to the small group of beginners, but no longer so righteously indignant.  After all, we all have our moments, right?

Next blog post: quilting for a baby and socks, more socks.  And hopefully beginning another sweater pour moi.

No comments:

Post a Comment