Saturday, June 18, 2011

Summer fabric and fiber arts

When the weather gets hot, it becomes harder for me to focus on making wooly blankets and heavy socks for cold feet.  I'd rather make summery dresses and shirts, using the trusty portable sewing machine my mom bought me for christmas in 2000.  The same sewing machine that my husband claimed I'd never use, probably because at that point he hadn't known me long enough to know that my approach to crafting has seasons--I love all kinds of crafts and will go through little phases depending on the time of year.  Summer is a great time to make jewelry and sew, fall, winter and spring are my fiber arts seasons.

Because of my job and family demands, I haven't had a lot of time in the last ten years to devote to my passion for sewing.  However, this year, I am starting to feel a little more liberated--the girls are both independent (which, in this house, is reached when one can buckle oneself into the car) and off doing their own thing.  Compound this with several babies being born this year to friends and family and I've got a reason to break out my sewing machine to make simple block quilts.  And while it's out, I may as well make a couple of cute sundresses for the girls, and maybe a shirt or skirt for myself.  

I was at the Tommy Bahama store last weekend, eyeing some gorgeous summer clothes for our upcoming trip to Florida.  I love TB's women's line; the fabrics are light and easily packable, and very flattering for almost any shape.  The downside to Tommy Bahama is that it's outrageously expensive, so hard to justify in this age of austerity.  I spied this gorgeous flowy halter top, but $88 would pay for 2 gallons of gas for our road trip!   But I had an idea....I had the pattern to make a similar-styled halter, all I needed was some summery fabric to make it.  That way I could have an $88 look for $12 worth of fabric...off to Joann Fabrics I went.

I woke up early yesterday (4 am), so excited to get stated on my project.  I wish I had snapped photos of what I was doing to show you just how simple it was to make this shirt.  From start to finish, including laying out the pattern, cutting the fabric, and sewing it all together was about 2 hours.  Here's the finished product:


It's wrinkly because I was so excited to have it finished yesterday that I wore it before I had a chance to take a picture!  here's the detail on the tie in back:


I'm planning on making a couple more for the season.  I like the tunic-style, which hides a multitude of sins.   The pattern is also easily modifiable to make a sundress--just a little more fabric.  

Anyway, that's what I've been up to.  Oh, and all those baby quilts?  Well, I'm hoping to get to that this weekend......

No comments:

Post a Comment