Monday, January 17, 2011

Cables

(Bonus blog post for tonight since it's the end of a long holiday weekend and I'm feeling pretty ready for the week..)

I used to be scared of cable knitting.  It involved two things I usually shun: 1) math and 2) directions.  Well, maybe not "math" but counting.  Cabling and sitting as a passenger in a car or on a plane doesn't always mix, especially if you're prone to carsickness if you try to read.   I finally put my big girl pants on about two years ago and gave cabling a whirl. . .

Half of a duo of blankets, for my friend Allison who had twin girls. . .this was my first attempt...you can't see it but when I was done I weaved chocolate brown ribbon through the edges.  The coordinating blanket was chocolate brown cables with pink ribbon. . .



The next cable was for my sister in law, Kim, for Christmas 2009.  This was a very meaty blanket, requiring bulky yarn.  I got the pattern off one of those tear-off sheets at Michaels in the yarn department...


Dog, Princess, is the female half of the dogs we affectionately refer to as "the Bumpuses".  

And here's my piece de la resistance.. a blanket I made for my friend who shall remain nameless since I still haven't given it to her as a Christmas gift!  I love this blanket because it's made from this gorgeous mohair I got from colourmart.  


For those of you who do not knit and think this kind of work seems impossible, it really isn't.  The knitting part is easy--two stitches and the ability to count.  Cabling takes patience and the ability to multitask.  All traits that women (or men) of a certain age must have to survive in this world, no??  

Go forth and cable!!

No comments:

Post a Comment