Saturday, February 5, 2011

First Karate Test Tomorrow; Valentines Day Gifties


I test for my yellow stripe tomorrow.  I am so ready!  I’ve practiced on everyone in the house but the dog, and nearly everyone in my Tuesday night class.  I’m now looking forward to the next test; the yellow belt, which will probably take me two months to achieve all the points.  That’s fine.  I am learning that this is a marathon, not a sprint.  It’s not a matter of just getting from one belt promotion to the next, its learning the kicks, strikes and punches until they are part of your instincts, as rote as lifting a fork to your mouth or holding a pencil.

And so that’s how I get to where I am now, where I dreamt last night about tying my belt correctly.  That might actually be a side effect of my OCD tendencies rather than making karate part of my heart and soul..

On the knitting front, I took a break from The Blanket that Won’t Knit Itself and finished another pair of socks for my boss’s birthday on 2/18, and then some Valentines gifts for a friend of mine who asked me to make her some patterns from Lion Brand.  So here’s the pouch and the envelope I made for her:


The pouch was super simple, and the envelope was fun.  Neither turned out as big as I expected, so I had a lot of yarn left over to make her two hats.  One was the red and two pinks twisted together to make a chunky hat, and I used the shocking pink and a bit of purple I had to make this horse motif hat:


This is for her little girl Kate.  What little girl doesn't like horses?

All the snow we’re getting in the Upper Midwest is giving me ample opportunity to work on these little projects; since I stop knitting pretty much between May-August I need to get some things done for Christmas now before I run out of cold weather.  Today I’m winding the three hanks I got to start on my Olympic Hat…I seriously cannot wait to start on this project.. I’m off to print the pattern from ravelry right now..

No comments:

Post a Comment