Sunday, July 10, 2011

Belt Test Today

My youngest karate-ka and I tested for our next belt promotion today.  I'd like to say that I kicked butt, I don't think I did.  Every time I go through one of these I get all psyched up to do well, and then when I'm done, I go over in my head all the little stupid things I did during the test that I should have done better.  Not to mention that no one enjoys being judged--and if you do you are insane.  So imagine standing in front of a panel of 10+ pairs of eyes, looking at every flaw.  Well, if you're me, you turn red and start to sweat profusely, grateful for the fact that the end is near.  

I couldn't help but notice that the person who was "grading" me was taking copious notes.  Ugh!  I'm sure she wasn't because I was so great she wanted to gush about my grace under extreme pressure....And of course by inviting her to take up residence in my head during the test I know that I screwed up a couple of strikes, foot forms and at one point, my voice cracked during a sound-off like I was Peter Brady going through puberty ("when it's time to change...").

Here's some highlights.  I was actually proud of my roundhouse kick:


And I love this self-defense.  It's "bear hug over the arms," and requires you to reach behind and do a groin grab (assuming a man is doing this and that would actually hurt), followed by an elbow strike, aikido hand hold, snap kick to the face, and a takedown.  I love takedowns, I probably shouldn't love them as much as I do..


After I did my test, my daughter did hers--she was the only one in her belt rank going for a promotion, and she did great! When I think about how nervous I was, at least I'm not five years old, standing by myself in front of a bunch of adults.  What courage she showed!  Here's a picture of the two of us.  I'm such a proud mama-san:


Did we pass?  Well, we shall see tomorrow night!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!!! I had my test two weeks ago and today we yada bunch of kids moving up from purple to red belt. They all had most things down, but the easiest way to tell that they made a mistake was the expression on their faces! Of course, I was way worse - none of them burst into tears during their water breaks! Just remember that if you make a mistake, pretend nobody noticed and keep going - if you've gotten to the testing point, they know you're good!

    Congrats again! (PS, takedowns are the best!)

    -kdmay28 from Ravelry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you kdmay! I think it is harder for adults because we are more self-aware. We tend to overthink things and live in our heads...I'll just be relieved when I have purple belt around my waist!

    ReplyDelete